Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cornbread Without the Sand!

Cornbread is not a personal favorite for me.  I really don't like the texture since it reminds me of eating beach sand.  However, my Mr. Eastside Girl Friday loves it.  And so, I make it for him because I love him.  So, I have found a recipe that will satisfy both of us.  He likes sweet and I like savory.  Compromises.  I will eat cornbread if I don't have a beach experience along with it.

Here's my Sandy-Less Cornbread and I hope you like it as much as I do.

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
1 can of green chilies
1 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a 9 x 13 pan by spraying it with olive oil spray.  In a small bowl mix together the milk, buttermilk, and the cornmeal and let rest for five minutes.  After the five minutes, add the oil, eggs, cheese, and chilies to the cornmeal mixture.

Whisk the dry ingredients together and add the wet ingredients then stir until they form a smooth batter.  Pour into the pan and put into a preheated oven.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of pan comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. I need all these in a BOOK girl! I have to print them off. Have been cooking more so will put these the line-up in here and there. They all look so wonderful. Just did the salsa and now am going to print this one.

    ReplyDelete